Monday, December 6, 2010

The Zoo in Winter


Let me tell you -- the zoo looks a whole lot different in the winter! For one thing -- not very many people are visiting. The zoo is now closed, but is having "winter weekends" and open each weekend in December. For some crazy reason, Maddy and I decided to visit on Sunday, when the high temp hit a balmy 20 degrees! Can you say BRRRRR!! It was so cold!!

Maddy visited the reindeer. They are preparing for an epic journey soon!




Pretended to be an Eagle!



Visited famous zoo landmark, Leo the Lion -- he eats trash -- really, he does!



Saw the new Penguin habitat.
Our new penguins are warm weather penguins and
were off in an indoor heated pool somewhere - aren't they smart!



And posed with our fave little bear wearing shades -- she said he was really cold!



And we ended our visit with someone very special in the Zoo boutique --
more about that later! :)

12 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You are brave. I'm sure Maddie appreciated the trip to the zoo. We were suppose to go on Saturday to our local zoo party and we skipped because of the cold/snow. Can't wait to see more pics.

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

I can understand that the zoo might be somewhat challenging in the cold winter temps! But, good for you and Maddy!

Lea
xo

PS. Chicago in February would not be such a challenge!

Jodee said...

Holy cow! Maddy looks soooo cold in these pictures! I don't see any more winter weekends to the zoo in your future! HA HA!

Wanda said...

Sure beats the crowds. Looks like you had the place all to yourselves. What a fun adventure!

paige said...

& by brrrrr i bet you mean much colder than it is here in the atl!
actually today it's 21! yikes!!
love seeing that sweet happy faced maddy
merry christmas janet
xo

Casey said...

Brrr... girl you are brave!! 20 degrees is super chilly. lol. Looks like a fun time though! And I love her winter coat.

Sharon said...

You really were brave to go out in that temp but i bet it made the reindeer visit very cool!!!

Anonymous said...

20 degrees? I'm not sure if I could do it! But it looks like you guys had a wonderful time!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Maddy is just as beautiful as ever. And it does look cold there! Makes me wish for winter weather...out here in California, if it goes below 50 degrees people think it's C-O-L-D! Being from the Midwest makes me wish for a freeze now and then! But I will enjoy it through your photos I guess! :) I hope you all have a Merry Christmas Janet!
Carrie

3 Peanuts said...

Maddie looks adorable and you are BRAVE to weather those temps. I did not see any animals out;)

Kim said...

Yes, very brave. I thought about it for a split second and we stayed inside. Not sure this weekend will be much better.

PS- I loved hearing about your chocolate surprised via Jodee. What fun!

Phoenix Chiu said...

Yes, very brave. I like your smile. So sweet!