Tuesday, August 30, 2011

School Days and Reading Out Loud


Maddy the 4th Grader in her classroom

Happy to report the first week of school went very well -- even though it was very hot and there is no AC at Maddy's school.  Yikes! 
That made for a couple of toasty days!

But just like that -- we're back into the school days groove of pop quizzes, real quizzes, a math test coming up and nightly reading.  Nightly reading is about my favorite time of the day!  Yes, for real, I mean that!  Since Maddy is just a 4th grader, she and I read together . . . out loud.  And truthfully, I hope we're still doing that in 8th grade!  Yes, I am one of those moms who is trying to enjoy my youngest at every single age and school year.  So, anyhoo, back to reading.


Maddy -- Reading in 2008!

     We (Maddy and I) have discovered that we get so much more out of books when we read aloud to each other.  During the summer, we read Shiloh.  It started off slowly, but as we read it  out loud, it came to life. At school now, they are reading A Dog Named Kitty -- another one that started off a bit slowly. Truth be told, at first we both thought it was more of a "boy's" book.  But we are enjoying it too and talking about what we think might happen next, why did the character act that way?  I loved reading when I was young and hope that  by reading aloud she develops that same love for reading and books.  These days (gah -- I sound like an old hag  now, don't I) kids just don't read enough and everything is electronic and fast-paced.  I say, it's time to sit back and take turns reading out loud before lights out!

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Well, you know how much I loved THIS post! We love reading in our house, and reading aloud is one of my favorite times of the day/night too! It really does help bring a book to life! And it's how kids get really good at using expression when they read... by our example! Although I love Allison's school (that's just a few years old), I REALLY love Maddy's classroom with the real chalkboards, old teacher's desk, exposed brick. LOVE IT!!

Marla said...

I love reading with my kiddos too and even better, they love to read to each other! Maddy's a cutie! :)

Love Letters To China said...

So happy to hear her first week of school has started off great. My daughter loves to read too. It makes me so happy when I find her in bed with a book in front of her face. So much better than all the electronic devices. Now if only I could get away from those devices too. ;-)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

oh my gosh she has changed so much!

I love to read too. What are you reading right now?

lea
xo

Sue said...

We are big readers too! Alexa has to read 20 minutes a day for homework so she does it on the way to school. I love to listen to her and it is an enjoyable way to start the day.
Love that 2008 photo of Maddy. So cute!

Sue : )

Musings from Kim K. said...

Darling pics. She looks so grownup from the 2008 pic. Bedtime reading is definitely a favorite at our house too. My 8th grader still enjoys reading bedtime stories outloud to Josie. I hope that never changes.

Courtney said...

So glad to hear that her school year is off to a great start. It warms this teachers heart to heart that you are sharing your love of reading with your child.

Casey said...

I love reading out loud!! Although Liam will no longer do this with me. lol. Glad she is having a good start to the year!

Jodee Leader said...

Wow! Way to go! I am sooo impressed! I wish I liked to read more, but I don't. I am trying to make more of an effort though because we always read to Carson when he was younger. Now we are twice as busy! UGH! Anyhoo, I read Kamree's library books to her this week so that's a good start for us! Thanks for encouraging us to do better!

Kristin said...

We read stories every night! Then the girls get to keep the light on while they read more on their own. I love to read!!

Jen Kershner said...

That is so sweet! We are big readers around here too. Right now my Sweet Hubby is laying on the loveseat reading and my Emma is almost done with the 6th Harry Potter book. A love of reading is a wonderful gift you are giving Maddy!

Deb Stangl said...

Janet - I also loved to read as a kid and still do! When I was young, my mom would literally kick me out of the house in the summer and tell me to "do something." So, I would take my book outdoors and sit under a tree and read!!! I also read out loud to my kids until they were in junior high at least! Now, I am reading out loud to Craig when we go on road trips. Some things, I just can't give up! We'll talk soon - promise!