Friday, January 13, 2012

Favorite Photo Friday - Hello Cabbage!




Last fall I fell in love with so many images in the Southern Living and Country Living magazines of fall scenescapes (is that even a word?)  using
decorative cabbage.
I was shocked . . . cabbage . . .  could look so good, really??  

 Then, just before Halloween, I spied some puny little cabbage plants at a local big box store on clearance.  Since it was so cheap economical (and I am all about saving a dime here and there, right Mr. Tennis!?!),
I bought a few.  I figured that maybe it would enhance our lovely
 front porch/door area.  I crossed my fingers that the stinking squirrels who
destroy everything
and even eat plastic pumpkins and gourds would not be fans of cabbage!
 (FYI -- squirrels have not touched it!) 



Imagine my surprise when those puny little cabbage plants started to grow larger and more beautiful as the temps declined.  No way!! 

Had my brown thumb suddenly turned green?!! 
I called my local nursery and was informed that ornamental cabbage likes cool temps and would be fine and grow even more until mid-January. 

 It does not do well in warm temps. 
The time to plant it is in the fall before frost. 

Anyway, it is now definitely one of my favorite plants and perfect
 to take the place of all of the flowering plants that have wilted
 in the fall due to Jack Frost!

All photos in the post were taken just last week -- January, 2012!!

10 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Amazing. Gorgeous too. I'm showing my husband. My finally got hit with a major storm last night. The girls are off from school even. Up until the storm, I'm guessing we could have even grown cabbage in MI. Such strange weather this year. Beautiful pictures, Janet.

Gail said...

I first saw cabbage growing like these in northern California when we lived there. They have the moderate temps in Winter like we've been experiencing lately. (Until the last two days). I need to try growing these maybe next Fall.

Beautiful pics Janet!

Have a great weekend! Stay warm.

Gina Kleinworth said...

How pretty & exciting to have that growing

3 Peanuts said...

LOVE your ornamental cabbage:) Beautiful!!!!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

amazing!

Hows the foot?

lea
xo

Jodee Leader said...

Wow! Those are amazing! So glad the silly squirrels have stayed away!

Hope you have a fun and relaxing weekend!

Lisa said...

wow! it is gorgeous!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

That is some beautiful cabbage Janet!!! Who knew you could grow cabbage and have it look like that in January(and keep it from the squirrels)? Good for you!!!

xoxo,

Lisa

The Byrd's Nest said...

Wow...I never knew cabbage could be so pretty!!! Yay for you!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Wow - they ARE gorgeous!!! I'm impressed! And maybe inclined to plant some!!!!!