Friday, August 2, 2013

A Family Reunion

There may have been a shortage in wine and beer
last weekend
in Omaha!
Amy & Grace and me and Maddy

It was family reunion time and
over 50 descendants/members of
my Dad's family attended from as far away as Boston,
Annapolis, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Atlanta, Pensacola,
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, and both North and South Carolina.


My Dad, Al (tallest) and his brother and sisters!
So much fun with family including Aunties, cousins, cousins' kids and in-laws!
It was a blast!
 
Todd, Grace, Maddy and Amy
We chatted about old times and more recent times. 
We sorely missed those who are no longer with us and
those unable to make the trip.

My Dad is the oldest remaining of his siblings.
Unfortunately, he could not attend.
Grandfather, Carrie and Harry in Canada fishing - their happy place!
We remembered morning picnics in the park with
Harry and Carrie cooking up a storm;
visits to nearby fish hatcheries;
gathering black walnuts in the fall
the question still remains -- what happened to those black walnuts??
The consensus was that Grandfather fed the squirrels all winter! 
Just like him to think about the squirrels!
 
Grandfather and his youngest daughter - my Aunt Mary
 
We laughed about the time Grandfather
picked up a cheese ball at Amy's wedding shower and ate it like an apple! 
And the time his bright yellow car was mistaken for a taxi. 
When an elderly woman jumped in the backseat and
 gave her address, he drove her home!
He was also known to offer a bit of a pick-me-up
to any and all visitors
 (bourbon most likely) before any of us were
old enough to drink.
He said he had a shot every single night and it
kept him young and probably 
contributed to his long life -- he lived to 96 years old.
 
My twin sister, her husband and her daughter and new baby!
Many thanks to my sweet cousins - one who organized
the events; another who hosted a pool party
at her lovely home and another who put together an extensive family tree.
 
Family = Love! 
 
 



6 comments:

Laurie said...

Love family reunions! Glad you guys had a great time! I love the stairstep picture of your dad and his siblings. :)

3 Peanuts said...

Oh it looks like a beautiful re-union!!!

Catherine said...

I love this post! The old pics and stories are great!

Musings from Kim K. said...

What beautiful photos. I love the mix of past and present photos. I didn't know you had a twin! Love that information too. Happy Weekend!

Courtney said...

We love family reunions. I didn't get to go to ours this year, as I stayed home with my grandma who had just had shoulder replacement surgery.

Jodee said...

What a fun reunion! So glad you got to hang out with Amy and Grace. Love the old pictures and stories too!