Monday, October 27, 2008

Double, double . . .

Having a little first-grade girl is so much fun and SOOOOO different than boys! Do you remember when you were in grade school and chanted rhymes while jumping rope?? Some things don't change much.

One of the things Maddy and her friends do involve criss-cross hand-clapping and slapping rhymes. If you don't have a girl (I'm assuming boys don't do these -- mine never did anyway), you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. She and her little buddies rattle off the rhymes and clap hands so fast, it is almost unintelligible. But, the sweet girl that she is, she tried to teach them to me. Believe me, some are quite complicated! However, I have figured out the easiest and it goes something like this. You crisscross slap hands, forwards and backwards and do some other crazy hand motions to the rhyme of: "Double double dis dis, double double dat dat, double dis, double dat, double double dis dat." Repeat -- now faster; repeat--faster and faster until the Mom [moi] gets very confused and the little girl collapses in a heap on the floor giggling her head off at how incredibly silly and slow her Mom is doing the clapping/slapping rhyme. Yes, first graders are fun!

And just because it seems weird to have a post without a photo, here's another one of M doing a little dance on the bridge at East Campus!

17 comments:

Lisa said...

How fun! I totally remember doing that in 1st grade! Aren't little girls so much fun? : )

Kate said...

You need to get video!!!! And...can I just say...Maddy is the cutest little chicken dancer I know!!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I loved these games as a little girl....oh the memories!!

Maddy is so cute....love her bridge dancing...you go girl!!

Rachel said...

How fun! I remember those games and have watched my friends' girls do them recently. My 1st grade son has no interest in them - unless of course I put some kind of potty word in it or sing that it is so boring!

I would love to see video.

Rachel

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I haven't gotten to that phase yet, but I am sure it is coming! I can totally remember doing those little rhyming clapping games as a little girl too...

So glad you got your award! I totally meant to stop by here this morning and give it to you, and then time got away from me. I love your blog!
Carrie

Kim said...

Oh this sounds like so much fun! You really should get this on video. I better start practicing now. There was a time when I could probably do this but now it sounds way to confusing especially when age starts becoming a factor :-)

Have a great week!

Shari said...

How cute!! I remember doing them when I was little! Before long I will be trying to do them with kelsey! I can't wait!! Cute picture!!!

Christy said...

Nope, have no idea about the clapping rhyme thing. I remember doing them when I was a kid but my boys never did anything like that. Cant wait till Mia does those girly things. cute pic of Maddy doing her dance!!!

Christy :)

Jodee said...

Oh, yes! I remember this so well! How cute that Maddy was teaching you!

Love the bridge dancing picture!

Rebecca Lily said...

My girls do one of those hand-slapping games. It's something like "I went to a Chinese restaurant". They tried to teach it to me once. I didn't get it. :)

Jennifer said...

So funny we were just doing this yesterday with the older girls in our adoption group.

I do a mean Miss Mary Mack....I am pretty fast....

Picture is really cute!

Jen

Kerry said...

I loved those games! So much fun. I don't really remember all of the words and hand jives- but I loved it way back when.

Grace will have to teach me again- of course I will be much much slower now too.

Love those photos of Maddy. Looking too big

Bridget said...

I loved those hand clapping games -I watch my nieces do them now and they seem much more involved than the Miss Mary Mack that I used to play!

Michelle R Photography said...

Leila came home last year and started doing the hand clapping. She taught me and Mia and we all three do it together and have a lot of silly girl fun. I'll have to teach her yours. ;-)

Is Maddy doing the chicken dance? That's popular around here, too!

fleur de lis cottage said...

Oh what memories that brings back. Reminds me of the fun I had with my older sisters.

Donna said...

Emma and I do the hand-slapping thing all the time...we just make them up! Super cute photo!

Shell in your Pocket said...

My daughter loves criss cross hand games...so cute!
-sandy toes