Kind of hard to believe that my little sweetie-pie is turning 8. I have been asking myself, why is it that 8 seems so much older than 7? I figured it out. Of course, 8 is so close to 10 and 10 is close to 15 and 15 is close to 20 – darn – she’s grown-up! Though I’ve tried to stop the clock before, I was not successful – as both boys are now over 21 – guess I should stop calling them "boys" eh! Anyway, in honor of Miss M’s 8th b-day on the 20th, I thought I would list 8 special things about her.
1. Maddy is very sweet! Truly, she is the sweetest little girl I’ve ever known and I’m not just saying that because she’s my daughter! Well, I suppose it could be that I haven’t known that many other little girls, but she is sweet and thoughtful and delightful – a real treasure!
2. She is a good student. She works so hard at school and at home. Even though math has given her a few problems this year, she has worked at it and is conquering her fear of numbers! She loves her tutor and I believe that has certainly helped change her thinking about her own abilities. I haven’t heard her say the dreaded "I’m just no good at math" in a while now. Yay Maddy!!
3. Maddy has a great imagination! One of the most fun things for me is to listen to Maddy play with her stuffed animals. They have very expressive and extended conversations about the weather, their dreams, what to do and just about anything and everything under the sun. It is a real treat to listen in as she "talks" for the various animals.
4. She is a talented little artist. She loves to draw and makes very detailed and meticulous drawings ... usually of animals. Lately, she has been making little books on scraps of paper of animals or movie characters. She staples her little book together and presents it for your reading enjoyment.
5. Maddy loves chips! If there is one thing that girl will eat, it is chips – BBQ, sour cream and onion, plain, cheddar, sun chips . . . just about any chips. She sometimes decides to take hot or cold lunch based on whether or not the cafeteria has chips! If chips are on the menu, it’s a hot lunch day.
6. Maddy is very determined. When she puts her mind to something, she sticks with it and follows-through. Last summer she was determined to master her bicycle without training wheels! And she did it! Lately, she’s made up her mind to get a puppy and has somehow negotiated away a year. I agreed to a dog in June, 2011 – somehow, she and Mr. Tennis have now agreed to June, 2010!! I don’t know how that happened and I don’t think Mr. Tennis knows either!
7. She is very tender-hearted. You (and by you, I mean me, of course) have to be careful to discipline and/or direct her in a gentle way. Cross words break her little heart.
8. Maddy is very loving. She gives her heart to her family, her friends and her faith and draws strength from all three.
Happy Birthday Sweetheart! We love you so much and I am so honored and blessed to be your Mother.