Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Special -- Fast and Light Chicken Potpie


Photo also from Cooking Light, Jan/Feb. 2010 edition

I admit it, I'm one of those people who keep old magazines because I just know there is probably something there that I might want to refer to later.   Recently, I was looking through some Cooking Light magazines from Jan/Feb. 2010 [actually, I was trying to put myself to sleep without any Advil PM]! 
 So happy I saved that one and you will be too!

Look what I made the other night!  It was speedy and delicious -- two requirements for me to cook! Plus -- there are loads of good recipes in this old issue, so stay tuned for more of my delightful Sunday Specials!! :) The strips of piecrust on top are so delish!

Here's how you make it!  Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light, Jan/Feb. 2010 edition.

SPEEDY CHICKEN POTPIE [printable recipe]
• Cooking spray
• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups refrigerated diced potatoes with onion (such as Simply Potatoes)
• 2/3 cup frozen green peas and diced carrot blend
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
• 1/4 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrust dough

Preparation
• 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
• 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; sprinkle with salt. Sauté 5 minutes or until browned and done.
• 3. While chicken cooks, bring 2 1/2 cups broth and bay leaf to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes; cover and cook over medium-high heat 8 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken. Combine remaining 1/2 cup broth and flour; stir into potato mixture. Reduce heat to medium; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and thick. Remove bay leaf. Stir in thyme, pepper, and sage.
• 4. While potato mixture cooks, cut piecrust dough crosswise into 12 strips. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes or until browned and puffy. Top chicken mixture with piecrust strips.

Enjoy!  Plus, since you've saved all those calories,
feel free to have something chocolate and yummy for dessert! 

7 comments:

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

oh dear have you been sick taking Advil PM?!

Looks delish!

lea
xo

Love Letters To China said...

Look delicious! I too keep all of my Cooking LIght magazines in hope that one day I'll look back and try some recipes I may have missed. I tend to go to their website since it's so much quicker. This one sounds wonderful. I just made chix pot pie last night and sounds very similar and easy. Will try this one next time.

I wish I had some advice on sleeping. I'm constantly waking at around 2:15 every single night. It's a curse. I can't fall back to sleep and then end up staying up for a couple of hours. When the morning does come, I'm exhausted and rather cranky. If you happen to find anything that seems to help you, please share. :-)

Jodee Leader said...

Wow! That looks soooo delish! Thanks for the printable recipe too! I will print it for Chef Daddy!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Chicken potpie is a HUGE winner at our house. This looks like a fantastic recipe. A definite keeper.

Tutus and Choo-Choos said...

With the weather turning colder here, that recipe looks easy, delicious and comforting!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh, I am bookmarking this! I have notice that my jeans are a little tight this fall? Plus, I am a stress EATER! Lol. I love Cooking Ilght, thanks for sharing!!

Casey said...

Yum!! Since I don't cook... I might have to give this to David. haha.