Thursday, March 15, 2018

Flower Power!

While we are waiting for spring to finally arrive . . . 
(shhhh - snow/ice predicted on the weekend),
I thought it would be fun to repost here a
story that I sent to Story Worth.
Story Worth is a subscription service given as a gift 
to me and to Mr. Tennis.  
Each week, we receive a question to answer about our earlier years, so
as to provide our kids and grands with a bit of an idea as 
to what it was like growing up back in the dark ages!
At the end of the year, a little book is generated!

Recently, Miss M submitted a story question asking about my prom experience.
It was such a hoot thinking back on it.  
I just wish I had a photo
of my most incredible dress. 

Since it's nearly prom season, here's my prom story for your reading enjoyment!

Prom is so magical and exciting and fun, but . . . 
I didn't go to prom when I was a junior in high school!
  I'm afraid my dorky hair and quiet studious self kept any cute guy from inviting me to go!  :) 
Also, there were not any cute guys at my high school anyway!
 But, when I was a senior, I took the plunge and asked a college guy that I knew and he said yes! 
  I had already graduated from high school as I finished all my requirements 
a semester early, so after my January graduation, I went to work to earn some
 extra money for college.   
I knew I really wanted to make an entrance back at the high school prom, 
since I hadn't been there for a couple of months. 
 Instead of one of the pastel puffy-fluffy dresses that most girls were wearing (including my twin),
 I found a fabulous multi-colored flowery fitted dress like this one, only a long version.  
It was so incredible-- absolutely stunning!  
Everyone at prom was talking about it.  
I know they were flabbergasted at my gorgeous dress as many girls 
asked "where on earth did you find that dress???"



The prom theme that year was based on the song "Precious and Few" -- 
I can still sing a few bars - which drives Maddie crazy!
  I did my own hair and it looked really good (for me). 
 It was fairly straight with some soft beachy curls - very similar to Megan Markle*!
 I went with a group of friends and their dates.  
We went out to eat before prom  (Johnny's Cafe - yes named after Nebraska's own Johnny Carson)
and then to the dance where I boogied and did the "swim" and twist!  It was so much fun!  
Afterward, we went to one of the boys homes and had some 
more food and played board games. The highlight of prom was really my dress!  
I can still picture that gorgeous flowery dress -- it was really special!  

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Okay, that was AWESOME!!! Everything about it! I think you should share more of these stories with us in future posts- I LOVE flashbacks!! :)

Lisa said...

I agree with Laurie, more flashbacks! I would love to see pics.

Jodee said...

That story and dress are a hoot! Please share more of your colorful past with us! LOL