Friday, June 29, 2018

Taking Care of the Neighbors' Pets


Our neighbors recently asked if we'd feed their pets
while they were on vacation!

Of course, I said YES right away!
How hard could that be? 
Right???

This one loved us -- I think!  It was always out when we were there!
Later, I found out -- their pets consist of one hamster 
and two sugar gliders!

The hamster was so well-behaved.  We gave her some food
every day with a big piece of kale and she was a happy little camper.

The sugar gliders were something else!
They were well-behaved for sugar gliders, but seriously,
they freaked me out!

See her peaking out of the sleeping pouch!
They are nocturnal and in the marsupial family.
Basically, they look like small flying rodents!
Like Jimmy Johns, they move freaky fast!

We thought since they were nocturnal, they'd stay in their
sleeping pouch all day, we'd put the food in the bowls and
it would be easy-peasy!
But . . . 
one was super active and was awake and moving flying around
every time we stopped in!
It scared the living daylights out of me a couple times! EEEK!!!
We were able to get the food bowls out, but then the little critter
was flying all round super fast and I was afraid it would get out
when we opened the cage to put the food bowls back in.

Maddie did much better than me with getting the bowls back
into the cage!
One day, I waited an hour for the critter to calm down and head
back into its sleeping pouch before I was brave enough
to put the food bowls back in the cage.

You can bet we were so happy when our neighbors returned
from vacation. 
Truthfully, I was counting down the days and 
since they went to Alaska, it was a 9 day vacay!
Lesson learned -- maybe not be quite so fast to say yes!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Too funny. But those sugar gliders are adorable!

Laurie said...

OH my! I would be in the same boat- scared to death of those flying guys- they are cute, but anything that flies around like a bird or a bat or whatever- uh, no thanks! I'll stick to dogs. :)

Lisa said...

ewwwww!! Like Jimmy Johns! LOL!!!