Saturday, November 22, 2008

Weekend Update - Leaves are Falling!


Hey -- news alert -- leaves are falling!! That is definitely better news than snow falling! Last Sunday when the Rickster was out of town, I mowed the lawn in order to pick up leaves. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to mow the front lawn. It took over an hour because I had to empty the bag thingy about 15 times. But, the lawn looked so lovely when I was finished and I do like a nice-looking lawn. Well , guess what . . . the neighbor's tree finally started losing its leaves and my lovely lawn was covered with way MORE leaves than last weekend! Leaves were at least 2-3 inches thick! At least Mr. Tennis was home to assist and we used one of those bag things that basically sucks up the leaves -- way faster than mowing.


Isn't this fun -- watch me toss the leaves that Mom just raked into a big pile!

All the neighbors were putting up their holiday lights and decorations today. How are they all so organized?? Usually, we wait until it is bitterly cold and then quick throw some lights out and hope it looks ok. Our street is a little bit like Chevy Chase's -- everyone (and I mean everyone -- even the little old ladies) puts lights up for the holidays. The Rickster and the guy across the street get especially competitive some years and add new things and more lights weekly. It is crazy ... but fun! And, I'm planning on copying some of the really clever holiday ideas from other bloggers -- you know who you are, right? Will update on that at a later date.

14 comments:

Missy said...

This looks like too much fun...I want to join in the leaf pile jumping! It is COLD here in TN. It actually snowed a bit yesterday. I had to laugh at your friendly neighborhood decorating contest : ) LOL ...wish I could see it. This is a great time of year!

Jennifer said...

Love the Holiday light competition.

I have good intentions every year about being organized and getting stuff done early. I start to stressed out when I see the neighbors decorations up and ours aren't yet.

Jen

Jodee said...

I am soooo jealous! We have maybe 10 leaves in our entire yard! We won't be jumping in them for a long time!

We will enjoy checking out your holiday decorations when our bus tour goes right by your house, as always!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Maddy looks like she is having a ball in those leaves.....what fun!! Cute pics!!

Your neighborhood sounds like fun....let the competition begin!! Make sure you get pictures of the progress week to week!!

Enjoy your Sunday:)

Lisa

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Wow - you have a lot of leaves :D I love how much fun she is having! This is such a fun age with our girls! It is so cold here in the south! We were out last night and it is usually so nice this time of year - but OMG - bitter cold!

Ladybug hugs,
;D

Rachel said...

I love the leaf pictures! I also love to watch my kids play in the leaves (and join in a bit). All our leaves fell early this year, so they're pretty much gone by now!

Can't wait to see pics of the holiday lights!

fleur de lis cottage said...

Oh the leaves, it looks like our back yard. I have to say the photos from the coronation ball are simply stunning.

paige said...

what a little muffin
& you go girl with your yard mowing self!

have a wonderful thanksgiving


hugs to you friend!!

Bridget said...

Oh the leaf raking - but it beats shoveling snow! I love the pictures of sweet maddy in all of those leaves. Hope you guys had a great weekend!

- Bridget

Lisa said...

How fun!!! Maddie looks like she is having a blast! Great pictures! : )

Donna said...

There's nothing I despise more than raking leaves...but it's sure fun for the kids! Great photos!

Rebecca Lily said...

Our leaves are all covered with snow. It sure beats raking... they'll just decompose all winter. LOL.

Can't wait to see the lights you "throw out there"!! :) I'm sure they will be beautiful!

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH ..I love your pictures with her in the leaves..so fun and sweet!
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
-sandy toes

Deb said...

Kids always love leaves and it looks like Maddie was no exception! We raked one Saturday and ended up with a year full of kids wanting to jump!

We wish you and your family a very Happy thanksgiving!!